Senior Director of Technical Operations
Change.org is searching for a Senior Director of Technical Operations to lead the DevOps, IT, QA, and Data Platform Teams. This role will oversee and manage the technical operations function and enable the team to continue to drive and deliver exceptional results.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the world's largest nonprofit-owned tech platform focused on civic action with 100m monthly users, 50,000+ campaigns launched on the site every month, and a 100% user-generated revenue model. Our users win campaigns for change once every hour.
From mobilizing over 5 million people to investigate the fires in the Amazon, to mobilizing nearly 3 million against war and famine in Yemen, to large-scale mobilizations for the people of Iran and against the war in Ukraine, and calling for Racial Justice in the US, many movements were born on Change.org. Dozens of local, national, and international victories are happening every day thanks to the strength of our members who are changing the lives of people around the world. We want to help them go even further and we need your help!
You will report to our Chief Technology Officer. As a key member of our Engineering Management Team, you’ll own the technical operations strategic direction for support, efficiency, systems, resiliency, disaster recovery, and systems integrity including defining strategic goals, budget and operational excellence. You will also lead and manage multiple teams in the technical operations function, define and drive the team OKRs and ensure the team goals strategically align with the overall company goals.
- Leadership: Provide exceptional leadership, mentoring & management needs for our growing Technical Operations team while balancing cost, schedule, and innovation-based solutions to challenging technical problems.
- Operational Excellence: Lead the team to explore new technologies to continuously improve our tools and infrastructure capability and quality.
- Strategy: Define and drive overall directions for support, efficiency, systems resiliency, disaster recovery, and systems integrity including defining strategic goals, fiscal operating planning, tracking progress against goals, and ensuring the team delivers the desirable outcomes.
- Communication and Collaboration: Build partnerships with other development teams and business teams to understand their service needs. Ensure a clear communication with cross-functional teams. Collaborate with other engineering teams to ensure software reliability.
The most important skills and capabilities for the role are:
- Planning & Execution: Have extensive experience in planning and executing ideas to support system operations in a fast-paced environment. We are an agile shop so belief in and experience with agile/scrum is necessary.
- Technical Operations Management: Experience with demonstrated success in guiding and leading 24x7 global Infrastructure and DevOps team.
- Driving Quality: Experience with QA methodologies, SDLC best practices and enhancing quality is necessary for this role.
- Managing IT: We are a remote first company. Our IT team supports over 250 people globally. You will be enabling them to provide excellent user experience with Google Workspace, Jira/Confluence, Slack and over 150 other applications with zero infrastructure.
- Leadership and Strategy: Experience in creating team goals that aligns with organization vision and goals.
- People Management, Coaching & Mentorship: Experience in managing and supporting multiple teams, and managers.
- Vendor Management: Experience in evaluating services and vendors. Effective negotiator who can collaborate with legal, finance and other business stakeholders to balance organizational budget and services.
- Communication: A good communicator who sets standards of collaboration and proactive communication across a large group. Is viewed as a leader who proactively starts conversations that solve problems. Is capable of articulating complex technical subjects to non-technical people.
- 10+ years of experience in Infrastructure (DevOps) engineering.
- 6+ years of direct management experience including experience managing managers (6+ direct reports)
- Hands on experience working with the following technologies: AWS, Terraform, Google Workspace,
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a FULL TIME ROLE and can be based anywhere in the United States. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture!
Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. For example, the annual salary of a Senior Director of Technical Operations is $298,500 in San Francisco, CA or New York, NY, and would be $283,500 in Seattle, WA.
We anticipate moving quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
- Recruiter Screen
- Hiring Manager/CTO Screen
- Virtual Onsite
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting amazing candidates like you, so please don’t hesitate to apply—we’d love to hear from you. We also know it’s rare for someone to meet 100% of the qualifications. Please apply anyway!
We’re working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We’re just getting started and hope you’ll join us!
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. Everyone says this, right? Well, we mean it—we invest in serious programs to bring in and support women and people of color, we have in-person onboarding experiences and affinity groups to help everyone feel included, we regularly celebrate the heritage of all staff, and we believe strongly in consistent, fair, and transparent salary scales to help level the playing field. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.
We are legally required to conduct EEOC reporting. While this is required by the federal government, we recognize that it does not include all genders and ethnicities. We want you to know that Change.org celebrates all identities and we thank you for your participation.
We're committed to protecting your data. To learn more, please review our Change.org Job Applicant CCPA Privacy Notice here.