Senior Communications Manager, Germany
Change.org is searching for a Senior Communications Manager to be responsible for leading and managing Team Germany.
Embark on an exciting journey leading Change.org's Communications team in Germany, where you'll successfully amplify the powerful narratives of petition starters across diverse media and digital landscapes. Help envision and execute a visionary media and marketing strategy for the French brand, steering a passionate team your leadership will be the catalyst for impactful stories that resonate, motivate, and shape a brighter future.
Change.org is a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the world's largest social change platform with 100m monthly users, 50,000+ campaigns launched on the site every month, and a 100% user-generated revenue model. Our users win campaigns for change once every hour.
From mobilizing over 5 million people to investigate the fires in the Amazon, to mobilizing nearly 3 million against war and famine in Yemen, to large-scale mobilizations for the people of Iran and against the war in Ukraine, and calling for Racial Justice in the US, many movements were born on Change.org. Dozens of local, national, and international victories are happening every day thanks to the strength of our members who are changing the lives of people around the world. We want to help them go even further and we need your help!
You will report to our Marketing and Communications Director as a key member of our Marketing and Communications team.
- Manage a squad of comms specialists to leverage media to amplify compelling petitions and movements on Change.org.
- Develop media strategies to drive impact and brand awareness around campaigns in Germany. Help upskill your team members to drive media with little support and oversight.
- Manage your squad’s portfolio of petitions. Amplify petitions through media, reach decision makers, organize digital and in-person tactics, etc. Lead on the storytelling of these impact moments to Change.org users and a wider media audience.
- Build and maintain relationships with media, influencers, organizations, activists, decision makers and community leaders in key issue areas to facilitate the use of our platform for social change.
- Act as the primary spokesperson for the German market, leveraging strong
- Excellent communication skills and composure to handle media exposure effectively.
- Manage brand crisis situations effectively, providing guidance and leadership for the communications teams.
- Collaborate with other functional leads to hone a global brand strategy, contributing to department strategy, goals and culture.
- Set a team-level culture of hard work, experimentation, adaptability, and fun.
The most important skills and capabilities for the role are:
- You’re an experienced full-time manager who leads the team through every aspect of their daily work, taking complete ownership of the outcomes achieved by your squad.
- You have exceptional skill in coaching and developing your team members through constructive feedback, you’re committed to their growth and success.
- You know how to set ambitious goals and deliver on them, you foster a vibrant team culture and adeptly manage conflicts.
- You adapt your management and communication style to resonate with each team member, you build strong, effective, and collaborative relationships within your team.
- You’re advanced in comms outreach skills. You have a flair for creative media relations or engaging multimedia strategies and you're an expert in some specific outreach skills. You know how to make a highly effective pitch and to develop a media strategy that would gain attention of decision makers and the public.
- You have an extensive network in Germany which is a testament to your ongoing, impactful relationships with journalists and influencers across various sectors like entertainment or politics.
- You have an advanced understanding of the PR and social landscape in Germany, with a knack for predicting exciting editorial calendars and pinpointing key figures for content distribution.
- You have exceptional communication skills that make complex topics a breeze for any audience or stakeholder.
- You have expertise in strategy and data-driven decision-making.
- Open & inclusive: You support the values of an open platform and are willing to help amplify a wide variety of campaigns that are policy-compliant and started by individuals across Germany.
- Deliver results: You have a can-do, positive attitude, are self-motivated and keen to learn. You thrive working in a fast paced and data-informed news or tech environment, and are willing to take risks, fail, learn and adapt.
- Championship teams: You are low-ego and you’ve got a strong sense of fun and give-and-take - our small team is constantly pushing each other to challenge assumptions, go all-in, and imagine the impossible.
- 8-10 years of experience across one or more of the following: media, comms, brand, PR
- 4-6 years of management experience of managing a team of at least 4 people
- German professional proficiency (not less than C2)
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full time role, and while we strongly prefer folks living in Berlin, we are open to hiring throughout Germany.
We are accepting applications until December 31, 2023.
We anticipate moving quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
- Initial screen with recruiter
- Hiring Manager interview
- Take home exercise
- Virtual onsite
- Final executive interview
Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for the cost of labor in each location. The annual salary for this role is €93,000 in Berlin. Benefits and perks also vary based on location.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting amazing candidates like you, so please don’t hesitate to apply—we’d love to hear from you. We also know it’s rare for someone to meet 100% of the qualifications. Please apply anyway!
We’re working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We’re just getting started and hope you’ll join us!
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.