Lead Product Manager
Location: Brooklyn, NY or remote within the US
About our organization:
At Democracy Works, we help Americans vote, no matter what! Our vision is to make voting a simple, seamless experience for all Americans so that no one misses an election, and our team works to help make this happen. Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that's representative of the voters we serve.
The impact you’ll make:
Salary Range: $98,000 - $115,000 (Offers will vary based on experience and location-based cost-of-living calculations.)
- Level: Mid/Senior
- Supervisory role: Y
As a Lead Product Manager, you will:
- ship useful tools for voters, election administrators and partners (including colleges, nonprofits and companies) working closely with a tight knit team of engineers, design and data folks
- develop a deep understanding of the needs and desires as well as the realities and anxieties of the users you’re building for
- coach, manage and hire product managers as our team grows, providing ongoing supervision and direction to team members regarding day-to-day product duties, milestones and professional development.
- collaborate closely with program, data and research partners and leadership to shape, prioritize and communicate the impact of technology investments
- serve as product owner, teaming up with engineering and design, program and data partners to ensure features and improvements are well-prioritized, impactful and feasible as well as straightforward to build, test and refine using modern agile development practices
- invest in the right mix of user journeys and stories, planning tools and kickoff docs, scopes and specs, release notes and retrospectives to define, execute and refine impactful technology investments
- team up with your design and data partners to understand user needs, plan new investments and shape feature experiments to discover the right user experience iteratively
You are someone who:
- has 5-7 years full time experience as a product manager (or technical program manager) working closely with engineering, design and other stakeholders to build web or mobile app experiences in an agile development environment.
- is passionate about using software to help people get things done, especially folks traditionally underserved by technology and government.
- is driven to ensure their software is accessible to all
- enjoys leading new, often complicated initiatives involving emerging technologies and a broad set of stakeholders
- is entrepreneurial, creative and curious
- has experience using (or an ability to quickly learn how to use) the following tools:
- Agile Software Development: Jira, ProdPad and Miro
- Communications: Slack, Gmail and Zoom
- Productivity: Google Docs, Slides and Sheets as well as Confluence
- Data Management: SQL
It’s a plus if:
- you have experience coaching and managing product managers
- you’ve helped recruit, interview and hire product, design and engineering talent
- you have hands-on experience wrangling big data
- you’ve designed and shipped features helping:
- people sign-up for a new consumer feature or service
- people at work get things done using tools like dashboards, admin consoles, etc.
- developers use APIs and datasets to building novel applications
- researchers organize, clarify and consolidate big data
- establish user trust in a product’s legitimacy, security and privacy
How we work
Because elections take place everywhere, our employees work from practically every state in the union. We embrace working remotely as the default. Our positions require regular, daily use of a computer (including the use of G-Suite and Slack) to conduct work and communicate with colleagues. We also have regular operating hours (10 am to 6 pm Eastern, Monday to Friday).
For those who prefer to work from an office, we are headquartered in Brooklyn, NY, and we provide support for co-working spaces around the country. We are happy to share more details about the office, including accessibility information, as on-site visits are planned.
As a member of the team, some of the benefits you’ll enjoy include:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision option for you and your dependents
- 12 floating holidays and 25 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $1000 towards professional development activities
We also offer a 403(b) retirement plan, stipends for equipment and internet reimbursement, and annual Calm or Headspace subscription reimbursements.
Please attach your resume and answers to the following questions:
- How did you find this job listing?
- Why are you interested in this role and working at Democracy Works?
- Are you authorized to work lawfully in the United States for Democracy Works?
If you prefer, you may submit an optional cover note with your application.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) in Hiring
Democracy Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics.
As part of our application, you’ll see an optional form used to collect U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) demographic information. Please note the categories used in this survey are set by the EEOC and may not reflect all existing categories.The data collected in this form is anonymized and is used in our EEOC reporting and in ongoing assessment of our recruitment practices.
Democracy Works follows the I-9 requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Immigration sponsorship is not available for this position, and you must possess your own work authorization in the U.S. now and in the future to continue working in this position.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our process or if you need an accommodation for a medical condition during the hiring process.