Location: Brooklyn, NY or remote within the US
About our organization: At Democracy Works, we help Americans vote, no matter what! Our vision is to make voting a simple, seamless experience for all Americans so that no one misses an election, and our team works to help make this happen. Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that's representative of the voters we serve.
Salary Ranges: $126,000 - $144,000 (Offers will vary based on experience and location, based on cost-of-living calculations)
- Level: Senior
- Supervisory role: Yes
The impact you’ll make:
As an Engineering Manager, you will:
- Be the champion of the agile processes we use to build our products, scope work, and engage in planning
- Foster collaborative and productive relationships with your team, product, design and other stakeholders to build mobile and web applications
- Coach, manage and hire engineers, providing ongoing supervision, technical leadership and direction to team members regarding day-to-day engineering duties, milestones and professional development
- Implement large-scale technical architecture decisions that have multi-year impact such as choices of new framework, language, or vendors
- Participate in code reviews and pair programming as well as make individual code contributions
- Owns large-impact initiatives and the research and growth needed to achieve goals
- Serve as a subject-matter expert in the development/engineering space and a go-to resource for thought partnership
- Participate in an on-call rotation for your team when you’re ready and have the resources to be successful (off-hours pages are rare and we take them seriously)
- Be responsible for the team’s delivery of high-quality work while following best practices
- Execute on other tasks as may be assigned
You are someone with:
- 2+ years of management experience leading an engineering team with at least 4 members
- 5+ years hands-on experience delivering projects using a functional, object-oriented or scripting programming language.
- 5+ years of experience working with relational databases and relational data modeling
- Expertise in at least one functional programming language with a desire to learn Clojure/ClojureScript
- An empathetic approach to leadership and is an active listener, understanding that software is created by and for people
- An ability to set and manage expectations, hold themselves and team members accountable for quality of deliverables and commitments
- An ability to communicate technical concepts to an audience with a variety of technical backgrounds
It’s a plus if:
- You’ve previously worked on a remote, distributed team
- You have experience with or a desire to work with service-oriented or microservices architectures
- You have experience working with Amazon Web Services
- You have experience with or an understanding of accessibility in software development
- You have a knowledge of testing practices including test automation
How we work
Because elections take place everywhere, our employees work from practically every state in the union. We embrace working remotely as the default. Our positions require regular, daily use of a computer (including the use of G-Suite and Slack) to conduct work and communicate with colleagues. You’ll participate in weekly check ins with the team, individual check ins with manager, and other team meetings as needed. We also have regular operating hours (10 am to 6 pm Eastern, Monday to Friday).
For those who prefer to work from an office, we are headquartered in Brooklyn, NY, and we provide support for co-working spaces around the country. We are happy to share more details about the office, including accessibility information, as on-site visits are planned.
We have an engaging, remote-forward workplace and as a member of the team, some of the benefits you’ll enjoy include:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision option for you and your dependents
- 12 floating holidays and 25 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $1000 towards professional development activities
We also offer a 403(b) retirement plan, stipends for equipment and internet reimbursement, and annual Calm or Headspace subscription reimbursements.
Please attach your resume and answers to the following questions:
- How did you find this job listing?
- Why are you interested in this role and working at Democracy Works?
- Are you authorized to work lawfully in the United States for Democracy Works?
If you prefer, you may submit an optional cover note with your application.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) in Hiring
Democracy Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics.
As part of our application, you’ll see an optional form used to collect U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) demographic information. Please note the categories used in this survey are set by the EEOC and may not reflect all existing categories.The data collected in this form is anonymized and is used in our EEOC reporting and in ongoing assessment of our recruitment practices.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our process or if you need an accommodation for a medical condition during the hiring process.