Location: Remote within the US
About our organization:
At Democracy Works, we help Americans vote, no matter what! Our vision is to make voting a simple, seamless experience for all Americans so that no one misses an election, and our team works to help make this happen. Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that's representative of the voters we serve.
- Level: Senior
- Supervisory role: Yes
- Most regions in the United States: $126,000 - $133,200
- California-specific: $126,000 - $148,000
- NYC-specific: $140,000 - $148,000
Offers will vary based on experience and location-based cost-of-living calculations.
The impact you’ll make:
As a Engineering Manager, you will:
- Provide leadership, mentoring, and coaching for team members
- Ensure our processes and standards are adhered to and hold team members accountable for commitments and quality of work
- Participate in code reviews and pair programming as well as make individual code contributions from time to time
- Hold regular stand ups, retrospectives, and sprint planning meetings as well as facilitating demos with other teams or stakeholders.
- Participate in the hiring and onboarding process for new software engineers
- Implement large-scale technical architecture decisions that have multi-year impact such as choices of new framework, language, or vendors
- Execute other tasks as may be assigned.
You are someone with:
- Experience leading an Engineering team with at least two members
- 2+ years of management experience
- 5+ years hands-on experience delivering projects using a functional, object-oriented or scripting programming language
- 5+ years of experience working with relational databases and relational data modeling
- Experience working with service-oriented or microservices architectures
- Building, maintaining, and deploying applications in cloud environments such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience working with modern frontend frameworks to build high quality and intuitive user interfaces
It’s a plus if:
- You have experience translating high-level strategic goals into a tactical plan
- You have expertise in at least one functional programming language with a desire to learn Clojure/ClojureScript
How we work
Because elections take place everywhere, our employees work from practically every state in the union. We embrace working remotely as the default. Our positions require regular, daily use of a computer (including the use of G-Suite and Slack) to conduct work and communicate with colleagues. We also have regular operating hours (10 am to 6 pm Eastern, Monday to Friday).
For those who prefer to work from an office, we are headquartered in Brooklyn, NY. We are happy to share more details about the office, including accessibility information, as on-site visits are planned.
As a member of the team, some of the benefits you’ll enjoy include:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision option for you and your dependents
- 12 floating holidays and 25 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $1000 towards professional development activities
We also offer a 403(b) retirement plan, stipends for equipment and internet reimbursement, and annual Calm or Headspace subscription reimbursements.
Please attach your resume and answers to the following questions:
- How did you find this job listing?
- Why are you interested in this role and working at Democracy Works?
- Briefly describe a time when you had to lead your team through a technical decision
- Are you authorized to work lawfully in the United States for Democracy Works?
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) in Hiring
Democracy Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics.
As part of our application, you’ll see an optional form used to collect U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) demographic information. Please note the categories used in this survey are set by the EEOC and may not reflect all existing categories.The data collected in this form is anonymized and is used in our EEOC reporting and in ongoing assessment of our recruitment practices.
Democracy Works follows the I-9 requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Immigration sponsorship is not available for this position, and you must possess your own work authorization in the U.S. now and in the future to continue working in this position.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions about our process or if you need an accommodation for a medical condition during the hiring process.
Something looks off?