EngageMedia is looking for a new Executive Director to lead the organisation in its mission: promoting digital rights, open and secure technology, and social issue documentary in the Asia-Pacific. (Learn more about EngageMedia’s mission, vision, and programs.)
Applications are being considered on a rolling basis. Please submit ASAP.
Our mission started in 2005 under the leadership of our co-founder, and outgoing Executive Director Andrew Lowenthal, who will transition to the Board. (Read his thoughts about the leadership succession.)
We’re in search of a driven and high-achieving person with extensive nonprofit or social enterprise experience to lead a growing core team of 26 people and a dozen regular consultants, and to collaborate with a six-member Board, all working remotely across ten countries.
If you have a strong commitment to civil liberties, human rights, democracy, and freedom of speech and expression in the Asia-Pacific, along with a critical understanding of media and technology, we want to hear from you!
Key Position Aims
- Lead the EngageMedia team in working effectively to meet organisational goals.
- Model and sustain a culture of collaboration, impact, and excellence.
- Ensure organisational strategy and program design are aligned with top-level mission and vision.
- Lead fundraising, building the organisation’s income base and sustainability.
- Increase governance capacity and effectiveness.
- Develop the organisation’s partnerships and networks.
- Ensure the organisation’s financial and operational integrity and sustainability.
Fundraising and Grant Management (~20%)
- Lead fundraising to meet organisational goals and objectives, coordinating with the board and staff as needed.
- Develop, manage, and sustain relationships with a range of funding bodies.
- Write, oversee, and contribute to funding and financial reports.
- Diversify and grow the organisation’s funding base, including developing complementary income streams, such as consulting.
- Develop funding proposals and pitches.
Leadership and Planning (~15%)
- Lead the organisation’s change management efforts, particularly during the executive transition.
- Develop and oversee implementation of the strategic plan, coordinating with staff and the board as required.
- Develop the organisation’s knowledge of strategic planning processes and thematic issues critical to the fields EngageMedia operates in.
- Work with operations and program staff to ensure there are sufficient human resources to carry out initiatives.
- Expand and clarify the Theory of Change, ensuring the team and the board are clear on direction and methodology.
- Advise and guide EngageMedia’s technology architecture and infrastructure.
Operations and Finance (~5%)
- Oversee the finance team in developing the annual budget.
- Review monthly budget reports and oversee the tracking of operational and project budgets.
- Review budget data, analysis, and background for delivery to the board for its budgetary review process.
- Oversee the delegation of financial authority, ensuring staff accountability.
- Authorise invoices and payroll.
- Ensure finances are maintained to an audit-ready standard, compliant with all legal requirements.
- Work with finance staff to develop efficient financial systems.
- Build reserves.
Partner Development, Outreach, and Networking (~15%)
- Develop partnerships with a range of organisations, individuals, networks, and foundations.
- Assist in promoting the organisation via a range of channels.
- Present the organisations’ work and its ideas in a range of forums.
- Produce written materials outlining the work of the organisation and its mission.
- Attend a range of events on behalf of the organisation to develop organisational knowledge, networks, fundraising, and partnerships.
Program and People Management (~25%)
- Lead program design in collaboration with senior team members.
- Review the progress of program implementation monthly, including adherence to targets and deadlines.
- Convene and develop the senior management team.
- Oversee and contribute to program design in collaboration with senior team members.
- Provide oversight and direction to project managers.
- Lead the development of systems for supporting and engaging team members.
- Recruit and retain talented team members.
- Conduct reviews for senior team members.
- Delegate reviews to other senior team members as required and follow through on their outcomes.
Governance and Policy (~10%)
- Support the board in its governance role, foster its ongoing development, and partner with it to achieve EngageMedia’s vision and goals.
- Coordinate quarterly meetings and agendas.
- Cascade and implement decisions of the board.
- Oversee the preparation of financial and program reports for the board.
- Develop and oversee policies and procedures.
- Oversee organisation registration and other legal requirements.
- At least 5 years of experience in executive-level nonprofit leadership and management, including strategic planning and partnerships development
- Excellent leadership skills and ability to build, motivate, and inspire a diverse team
- Alignment with EngageMedia’s vision, mission, and values
- A strong interest in digital rights, open and secure technology, and video for change
- Strong knowledge of Asia-Pacific social and political dynamics
- A proven track record in fundraising
- Ability to design and deliver dynamic programs
- Excellent English communication skills (written and spoken) and fluency in at least one Asian language
- High-level organisation and coordination skills, including the ability to work autonomously
- Strong knowledge of nonprofit governance, policy, and compliance
- Familiarity working with multicultural and decentralised teams in virtual workspaces
- Strong operations knowledge, including the ability to oversee financial work
Location and Remuneration
The position may be based anywhere in the Asia-Pacific. Candidates intending to be based outside the Asia-Pacific will not be considered.
The remuneration will be as per competitive international standards depending on skills, experience, and location.
The position includes the following benefits:
- 4 weeks of holiday leave
- 10 days sick and carer’s leave (with additional 5 days in case of COVID-19)
- 11 days public holiday leave
- 5 days bereavement leave
- 18 weeks parental leave
- 9 weeks paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Monthly communications and equipment allowance
- Health insurance subsidy
- Personal and professional development allowance
Combining video, technology, knowledge, and networks, we support Asia-Pacific and global changemakers advocating for human rights, democracy, and the environment.
In collaboration with diverse networks and communities, we defend and advance digital rights.
Applications are being considered on a rolling basis. Please check the link below to apply. https://engagemedia.org/2021/job-executive-director/