Global Disinformation Index
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Life at GDI - Creating a world free of disinformation and its harms.
Disinformation has become a business. Today’s internet business models reward engagement above all else. These models monetise attention without considering the quality of the content garnering that attention, or the harm that may result. There is a robust and growing community of industry, policy, and civil society advocates pressing for reform of this ecosystem, they all need data to inform their actions.
The Global Disinformation Index was born out of this need for data, specifically the need for transparent, independent neutral disinformation risk ratings across the open web. Thus, GDI was established in 2018 as a not-for-profit entity built on the three pillars of neutrality, independence and transparency.
At GDI, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and support everyone around them. Our team are passionate about our mission, experts in their fields and are collaborative problem solvers.
We continually strive to model the following behaviours in our interactions with others:
- Positivity: Problem solver, not problem raiser.
- Responsibility: Make it your problem - if it’s not right, fix it.
- Trustworthy: Make sure others can depend on you - If you say you are going to do it, do it.
- Respect: treat everyone, especially those with whom we disagree, with courtesy and respect.
GDI is seeking a Finance Manager to oversee the Finance function. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Finance Manager will be responsible for all day to day Finance operations and reporting and the development of capability as the organisation grows.
Main responsibilities include:
- Accurate reporting of our grant funding, licensing revenues, and costs (across three legal entities - US, UK, Germany).
- Accurate cash flow forecasting to ensure we maintain the financial strength of the organisation.
- Supporting the development of team budgets and forecasts to ensure that GDI has the resources required to meet its objectives within agreed financial parameters.
- Ensuring that the three legal entities of GDI meet all tax filing and payment obligations as required. We have external accounting & tax advisors to draw on in the US, UK and Germany.
- Ensuring that the three legal entities of GDI meet all regulatory return requirements.
- Regularly reviewing financial controls and systems, recommending and implementing improvements to our policy and operations wherever necessary and/or appropriate.
- Oversight and improvements of Finance operations including accounts payable and receivable, cash management, payroll and incoming post.
- Coordination of activities across our external providers (book-keeping, accountants, payroll and tax)
Essential experience and qualifications:
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, CIMA or equivalent).
- Process improvement mindset, with experience of driving change across Finance systems and processes.
- An empathetic manager with the ability to actively listen, remain non-judgemental, ask incisive questions, and provide meaningful feedback regularly.
- Skills to operate effectively in a fast-paced, complex environment (interpersonal, negotiation, organisational, time management, decision making, planning and delivery)
Preferred experience and qualifications:
- Past experience of international accounting and filing obligations, particularly with the US and Germany.
- Interest or experience in disinformation, cyber warfare, intelligence, global security and/or international relations.
- Past experience working as part of a remote/virtual team.
LOCATION: Remote – based, and with the right to work, in the UK or the US (preferably in the following states: Texas, New York, Florida, or D.C.).
REPORTING TO: Chief Operating Officer
DIRECT REPORTS: Management Accountant
HOURS: Initially 0.6 FTE with possibility of going to 1.0 FTE as the organisation grows. Working hours are flexible. As a global organisation, an ability to accommodate cross-time zone communications (and availability to attend limited virtual meetings outside of office hours) are required.
TERMS: Competitive salary based on location and expertise.
A place to be your authentic self
We are virtual by design to access a rich diversity of skills, expertise, experiences, and perspectives. Our commitment to neutrality is unwavering – across all of our work around the globe. Our employees are central to our mission and to our impact and we know that having varied perspectives helps generate better ideas to solve the complex challenges.
See more open positions at Global Disinformation Index
Something looks off?