Director of Communciations & Advocacy
Global Philanthropy Project
Urgent Action Fund for Feminist Activism is seeking an experienced, strategic, entrepreneurial leader who has a sharp political analysis to build a culture of strategic communications and advocacy and to position the organization as a bolder, more powerful champion of feminist activists and movements around the world. The successful candidate will be passionate about and thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
The Director Communications & Advocacy is a new position that will oversee the Communications and Advocacy work of the organization. In recent years, Urgent Action Fund has undergone significant growth, including deep strategic work to center communications and advocacy as core elements of the organization’s work. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director Communications & Advocacy will oversee the development and execution of strategic communications, philanthropic and international human rights advocacy.
As a member of the Management Team, the Director Communications & Advocacy will play a critical role in partnering with executive leadership in strategic decision making, as Urgent Action Fund continues to enhance its programming and build internal capacity for strategic communications and advocacy.
Communications & Advocacy (Approximately 60% of the role)
- Develop and drive a communications strategy to elevate the organization’s position and amplify impact and the work of grantee partners in key funding regions. Drive implementation of new organizational advocacy strategy.
- In partnership with the Programs team, develop and drive advocacy strategies that protect and expand the rights of feminist activists, and influence funders to drive more resources to support the important work of feminist movements.
- Drive Communications & Advocacy team growth and functioning – develop team structure and staff new positions, articulate lines of collaboration among team members, oversee development of annual work plan, and manage ongoing work of the team.
- When appropriate, work in collaboration with the Sister Funds to develop and drive collaborative communications and advocacy strategies and approaches.
- Foster a culture of strategic communications across the organization and create and implement systems, training, and practices that support staff as strategic communicators.
- Engage in thought partnership with leadership and key staff to develop strategy in support of goals, and lead thought leadership efforts to position the organization within international human rights advocacy and philanthropy arenas.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to team members, fostering their growth and career advancement.
- Cultivate a collaborative and positive work environment that promotes learning and innovation.
- Use data to effectively evaluate the organization’s progress and iterate your approach and priorities.
Organizational Culture, Strategy & Leadership(Approximately 25% of the role)
- As part of the Management Team, collaborate to set organizational goals, work plans, meetings, retreats, strategy, and calendaring for your department and the organization.
- Collaborate with Urgent Action Fund’s Programs, Development, and Operations teams to co-create strategy and systems for organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Along with the rest of the management team, be a driver of organizational culture and a champion for organizational values.
- Share and collaborate with Urgent Action Fund’s Sister Funds on best practices for Communications and Advocacy.
- Offer recommendations based on Communications and Advocacy to drive Urgent Action Fund’s future direction.
Operational Efficiency and Systems Development (Approximately 15% of the role)
- Lead and drive the development and implementation of efficient operational processes and systems to support the organization’s communications and advocacy work.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to align systems and improve organizational efficiency.