Senior Finance Associate
Stears is an intelligence startup of 30+ people using data to answer questions about Africa. Our mission is to become the world's most trusted provider of African data & insight to global businesses, finance and policy professionals. We make this possible by integrating all our intelligence (news & analysis, proprietary data, aggregated public data, licensed data, forecasts and reports) into a searchable platform, complemented by a rich mobile experience.
Our customers currently pay for access to Stears’ intelligence through a web platform, that includes daily insight and data. Our experts are always ready to answer client data questions about any sector, market or African country.
We are looking for a Senior Finance Associate, with operational experience within the tech and innovation space.
Why it’s important: This role will be important for building out our capacity to execute our operational and financial strategy within the Management Operations team. You will be responsible for working with the COO to deliver on key results to drive financial efficiency across-board.
What it covers: As a Senior Finance Associate, you are responsible for supporting and executing various finance operations functions across the company to ensure accuracy, compliance and efficiency.
Who you will work with: This role is part of the Management Operations team and you will be reporting to the CEO and COO. In addition to working with the core team, you will also engage with other amazing stakeholders like the Director, Stears Insights and the Director, Stears Advisory.
We are looking for someone with:
- At least four (4) to six (6) years work experience in a finance, accounting and operations role, preferably in a technology/innovation company
- Professional finance certifications (ACA, ACCA, CFP, e.t.c)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to think strategically
- Experience with managing relationships with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- The proven ability to manage tight deadlines. This involves long term planning and clear instructions.
- Extensive knowledge of accounting standards and fiscal procedures
- Strong understanding of financial analysis and budgeting processes
- Exceptional attention to detail
- High intelligence and problem solving skills
Financial Strategy and Planning
- Develop and execute financial strategies aligned with the company's goals and growth plans.
- Collaborate closely with the COO to manage all financial aspects of the company, with a focus on planning, tracking and reporting against the company’s financial plan
- Support the budgeting and forecasting processes, analyze trends and provide insights to senior management
- Assist with the collection and preparation of company data for audits, account opening, due diligence reviews and tax filings
- Provide financial analysis to support strategic decision-making
- Oversee the day-to-day financial operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable
- Streamline financial processes to improve efficiency and accuracy
- Monitor and manage cash flow and expenditure
- Work with senior management to manage budget adherence and provide insights on spending patterns
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to implement process improvements and best practices.
- Automate the collection of financial and business intelligence metrics for monthly & quarterly investor reports
- Assist in preparing documentation for audits and support audit processes as needed
- Collaborate with external tax advisors to manage tax planning and compliance
- Hybrid working (office and remote as required)
- Special emphasis on learning and development
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Competitive salaries at junior, intermediate and senior levels
- Paid time off - 25 days excluding public holidays and sick days
- Access to an expert Intelligence team - Stears Intelligence team includes some of the brightest knowledge experts in Nigeria covering a wide range of sectors, all with a passion for delivering the highest quality of intelligence on the African continent.
- The Stears Experience - These are the top reasons our team members highlight as contributing to having the best experience of their careers at Stears:
- Deepen their analytical & critical thinking skills which apply beyond a specific domain
- Gain a high level of autonomy and responsibility by taking on responsibility for an entire industry
- Do something meaningful by being part of a team making African data more widely available
Stears is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.