Energy Analyst (Africa-wide, Remote)
Stears is an intelligence startup of 25+ people using data to answer questions about Africa. Our mission is to become the world's most trusted provider of African data & insight to global businesses, finance and policy professionals. We make this possible by integrating all our intelligence (news & analysis, proprietary data, aggregated public data, licensed data, forecasts and reports) into a searchable platform, complemented by a rich mobile experience.
Our customers currently pay for access to Stears’ intelligence through a web platform, that includes daily insight and data. Our experts are always ready to answer client data questions about any sector, market or African country.
We are looking for an experienced analyst with a deep understanding and awareness of the energy industry and the dynamics that will shape the industry’s future.
Why it’s important: Our team produces high-quality insights that answer the most important questions about Africa for decision-makers. We focus on identifying, understanding and explaining trends, transformations and patterns in the energy industry.
You will spend your time identifying, understanding and explaining trends, transformations and patterns in this sector. This will involve applying your deep understanding of the companies, infrastructure and resources in this space to produce best-in-class research, analysis, and insights. Your work will get a lot of visibility across operators, regulators, investors, and other key stakeholders in the energy industry. You will also be a regular commentator at Knowledge Partners’ events, TV, radio, and podcasts. This is an exciting time to join the team as you will get to produce long-form analytical articles like How should Nigeria remove its fuel subsidy? and Why are Nigerian electricity companies unprofitable? You may also spend some of your time working on special data projects like the COVID-19 in Nigeria: State Index.
What it covers: As the Insights team’s energy expert, your mission is to lead on building Stears’ reputation for providing high-quality and deeply researched insights on the energy industry. This will require strong writing and presentation skills, as well as an affinity for using rigorous data analysis to build compelling and analytical arguments. You will also have the opportunity to lead on and execute innovative and data-driven projects to drive subscriber acquisition. This is a senior role on the team and success in this position calls for a combination of domain expertise in the energy sector; project management; the ability to edit for accuracy, clarity and quality; and superior writing skills.
Who you will work with: This role is part of the Insights team. You will report to the Head of Insights. You will also work with other researchers, economists and consultants in the intelligence team. In addition to working with the core team of editors, you will work with other internal stakeholders, including the Head of Intelligence.
We are looking for someone with
- At least 3-4 years of experience working in or analysing trends and transformations in the energy sector. The ideal candidate would have worked as a researcher focused on observing and analysing trends and patterns in the industry.
- Relevant academic background: economics, finance, engineering, and accounting
- Strong research skills to produce accurate and insightful analysis. Must also demonstrate the ability to apply mental models to support crisply-argued articles that analyse trends and developments in the energy sector
- Must be able to collect, structure, analyse, interpret or extract insight from raw data
- Ability to communicate complex information in three formats; clear written prose, data visualisation and slides
- A creative mindset to generate and identify interesting and in-depth stories
- An interest in building a public profile as a principal commentator on developments in the energy sector
- An active network of experts in the sector that can provide external expertise on the trends and issues defining this industry
Planning and shaping insights
- Brainstorm story ideas or themes on issues that are prominent in your space. This will ensure articles we publish on the Energy industry are always related to what people care/are talking about.
- You will also produce your own deep insights (either as long-form or short-form articles) through your own research and application of mental models that analyse transformations, trends and developments related to energy industry
Training and Development
- Support Head of Intelligence in upskilling the Intelligence team
- Lead your personal and professional development goals, and continually develop domain expertise through internal and external training and studies
- Go beyond the mechanics of copy-editing to ensure a consistent voice and adherence to Stears’ editorial guidelines. This involves fact-checking to verify article details, as well as authenticating sources; and communicating changes to analysts in a constructive manner that inspires analysts to do their best work.
- Optimise resources and stay on track to meet multiple (often overlapping) deadlines to ensure we meet our editorial commitments. This calls for strong organisational, time management, planning and communication skills
- Unlimited access to Stears Premium
- Hybrid working (office and remote as required)
- Stears branded merchandise and swag
- Onboarding allowance to facilitate workstation setup
- Access to Stears Employee Hardship Fund
- Annual off-site team bonding
- Special emphasis on learning and development
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Competitive salaries at junior, intermediate and senior levels
- Paid time off - 25 days excluding public holidays and sick days
- Access to an expert Intelligence team - Stears Intelligence team includes some of the brightest knowledge experts in Nigeria covering a wide range of sectors, all with a passion for delivering the highest quality of intelligence on the African continent.
- The Stears Experience - These are the top reasons analysts report having the best experience of their careers at Stears:
- Deepen their analytical & critical thinking skills which apply beyond a specific domain
- Develop strong writing skills that can be leveraged in other stages of their careers
- Gain a high level of autonomy and responsibility by taking on responsibility for an entire industry
- Do something meaningful by being part of a team making African data more widely available
Stears is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.