Stears is an intelligence startup of 25+ people using data to answer questions about Africa. Our mission is to become the world's most trusted provider of African data & insight to global businesses, finance and policy professionals. We make this possible by integrating all our intelligence (news & analysis, proprietary data, aggregated public data, licensed data, forecasts and reports) into a searchable platform, complemented by a rich mobile experience.
Our customers currently pay for access to Stears’ intelligence through a web platform, that includes daily insight and data. Our experts are always ready to answer client data questions about any sector, market or African country.
We are looking for an experienced economist, who will focus on creating custom, interactive and actionable insights.
Why it’s important: The Insights team is one of the core intelligence teams at Stears. The research and analysis our team produces helps our customers prepare for opportunity and empowers them to act with confidence when making strategic decisions. Our insights provide quality and actionable intelligence to the public and private sector, which cuts across different economies on the African continent.
Our economists deliver deep insights into the themes that drive policy, financial markets, and capital flows.
What it covers: As the Economic Insights lead, you are one of the intellectual leaders within the Insights team. The Insights lead is required to identify skills gaps and areas for improvement within the core economics team at Stears. The Insights lead will also be called upon to promote and present Stears by participating in external client facing events and company briefing, whilst representing the Stears Insights team internally at division-wide group meetings when required.
How we work: The team produces high-quality insights that answer the most important questions about Africa for decision-makers. This role puts you in the perfect position to be the principal commentator on key macroeconomy issues for the Stears team.
The Insights team constitutes a team of economists and data analysts that provide best-in-class research, data-driven analysis and insights. Team members deliver tailored 1:1 presentations, participate in key industry forums, and contribute to thought leadership through thematic papers, events, and media. Our long-form insights cut across issues such as Should the CBN increase interest rates in Nigeria? and Why closing Nigeria’s land borders was a mistake. You may also spend some of your time working on special data projects like the COVID-19 in Nigeria: State Index. This is an exciting time to join the team as you will also lead our initial pan-Africa expansion to produce data-driven Insights across the African continent.
Who you will work with: This role is part of the Insights team. You will report to the Head of Insights. You will also work with other researchers, economists and consultants in the intelligence team. In addition, you will work with other internal stakeholders, including the Head of Intelligence.
We are looking for someone with
- Over 5+ years of experience working as an economist. Preference would be given to candidates with an Africa-wide perspective. If you are a strong economist with an entrepreneurial mindset, this is the perfect role for you.
- Strong collaborative skills and can work across the different cross functional teams at Stears. In the past, you have managed complex projects and timelines effectively
- Strong research skills to produce accurate and insightful analysis. Must also demonstrate the ability to apply mental models to support crisply-argued articles that analyse trends and developments in the innovation ecosystem
- Must be able to collect, structure, analyse, interpret or extract insight from raw data
- Ability to communicate complex information in three formats; clear written prose, data visualisation and slides
- A creative mindset to generate and identify interesting and in-depth stories
- An interest in building a public profile as a principal commentator on the economy
- An active network of economists and other experts on the economy that can provide external expertise on the macroeconomic trends and issues
- You would be an intellectual leader within the Insights team and provide leading analysis and insights on macroeconomic issues
- Show a strong sense of editorial judgement and ensure required quality standards for Stears Insights products and services are met at all times
- Liaise directly with external clients on behalf of Stears and drive the insights creation for each customer presentation to develop custom and actionable insights
- Contribute to the commercial success of Stears Insights through a focus on value-creation for clients
- Work collaboratively with other senior Stears Insights members to support new product development
- Unlimited access to Stears Premium
- Flexible working (office or remote) as you require.
- Special emphasis on learning and development
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Competitive salaries at junior, intermediate and senior levels
- Paid time off - 25 days excluding public holidays and sick days
- The Stears Experience - These are the top reasons analysts report having the best experience of their careers at Stears:
- Deepen their analytical & critical thinking skills which apply beyond a specific domain
- Develop strong writing skills that can be leveraged in other stages of their careers
- Gain a high level of autonomy and responsibility by taking on responsibility for an entire industry
- Do something meaningful by being part of a team making African data more widely available
Stears is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.