Senior Analyst (Economics)
Stears is an intelligence startup of 25+ people using data to answer questions about Africa. Our mission is to become the world's most trusted provider of African data & insight to global businesses, finance and policy professionals. We make this possible by integrating all our intelligence (news & analysis, proprietary data, aggregated public data, licensed data, forecasts and reports) into a searchable platform, complemented by a rich mobile experience.
Our customers currently pay for access to Stears’ intelligence through a web platform, that includes daily insight and data. Our experts are always ready to answer client data questions about any sector, market or African country.
This Senior Analyst role will be in our Editorial team, which forms part of our Intelligence division. We are looking for an experienced economist, researcher, writer or analyst to cover macroeconomic and development trends in Nigeria.
Why it’s important: Stears is on a journey to produce the gold standard of news analysis, data and information on the continent. As the publication which provides the most in-depth analysis on Nigeria’s business environment, the analyst responsible for covering this area will become a thought leader in Nigeria’s macroeconomy and development and lead our opinions and coverage on the future of the economy.
What do analysts do: Our analysts work in the Insights team that produces in-depth content for paying subscribers. Our Insights team's approach is to focus on identifying, understanding and explaining trends, transformations and patterns in the digital economy.
You will spend some of your time discussing with the other economists, researchers & editors in the Insights team, a significant portion of your time researching the innovation ecosystem & fintech. However, you will spend most of your time writing long-form, analytical articles like Nigeria’s digital naira: how would it work and How the CBN knocked Rubies Bank. You may also spend some of your time working on special data projects like COVID-19 in Nigeria: State Index.
Who you will work with: This role is part of the Insights team within the Intelligence division. You will report to the Editor in Chief. You will also work with other researchers, economists and writers in the Insights team. In addition to working with the core team of editors, you will work with other internal stakeholders, including the Head of Intelligence.
We are looking for someone with
- At least 4 years of experience in economics trends, transformations and developments within the African continent
- Strong research skills to produce accurate and insightful analysis. Must also demonstrate the ability to apply mental models to support crisply-argued articles that analyse trends and developments in the Nigerian economy
- Must be able to collect, structure, analyse, interpret or extract insight from raw data
- Ability to communicate complex information in three formats; written prose, data visualisation and slides
- A creative mindset to generate and identify interesting and in-depth stories
- An interest in building a public profile in the innovation space
- Active networks and key contacts with leaders and stakeholders on economic issues, and policy.
Research & Analysis
- Develop deep expertise by researching, understanding and applying mental models to analyse transformations, trends and developments that relate to the Nigerian Economy
- Develop and maintain a strong professional network of sources and contacts across the financial sector to generate insights and story ideas to share with subscribers.
- Monitor corporate, technological, economic, cultural, and transformational events within the Nigerian economy
Writing & Data Visualisation
- Use data, analysis, quantitative and/or documentary material, as well as interviews, to explore all aspects of the varied industries in the Nigerian economy
- Produce long-form analytical articles that use a range of data visualisations (e.g. charts, graphs) to explore all aspects of the Nigerian economy on a weekly basis
- Work with the editorial strategy team to identify and lead on special projects (video, audio, surveys, reports, index, etc) focused on increasing audience engagement for subscribers from 52% to 80% by Q3 2022
- Unlimited access to Stears Premium
- Hybrid working (office and remote as required)
- Stears branded merchandise and swag
- Onboarding allowance to facilitate workstation setup
- Access to Stears Employee Hardship Fund
- Annual off-site team bonding
- Special emphasis on learning and development
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Competitive salaries at junior, intermediate and senior levels
- Paid time off - 25 days excluding public holidays and sick days
- Access to an expert Intelligence team - Stears Intelligence team includes some of the brightest knowledge experts in Nigeria covering a wide range of sectors, all with a passion for delivering the highest quality of intelligence on the African continent.
- The Stears Experience - These are the top reasons analysts report having the best experience of their careers at Stears:
- Deepen their analytical & critical thinking skills which apply beyond a specific domain
- Develop strong writing skills that can be leveraged in other stages of their careers
- Gain a high level of autonomy and responsibility by taking on responsibility for an entire industry
- Do something meaningful by being part of a team making African data more widely available
Stears is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.