For global organisations investing in African markets, Stears is the data and insights provider that enables quick, accurate decisions for financial and operational opportunities. Stears users get access to data from a variety of sources, economic forecasts, and constantly-updated analysis. At Stears, we go beyond just data to provide insights and context based on knowledge of local markets.
Stears Advisory consultants provide insights that enable global decision-makers answer questions about the African markets and economies.
Your Role at Stears
Stears Advisory is looking for an experienced project manager with a demonstrable track record as a team leader in project management roles, with emphasis on:
- Managing client deliverables and reporting human resource capacity and utilisation on a regularly scheduled basis to project leadership and making recommendations to improve team effectiveness
- Applying project management knowledge to identify, escalate, and remove barriers that impede project success; and,
- Guiding project team members (including leadership) to identify and address project issues.
This role is within the Stears Advisory Division. You will primarily report to the Head of Advisory and may also be required to report findings and insights to the CEO and Management Operations team. You will be involved in
Data reporting and analysis
- Monitoring and enforcing consultant compliance with time tracking tools, reporting non-compliance to senior management
- Researching and applying the most relevant metrics for tracking and analysing people and project data to different stakeholders (e.g. project lead, CEO, people operations manager)
- Analysing consultant capacity and utilisation data—across project types, tasks, periods etc.—synthesising data into insights and recommendations, and presenting to senior management to help drive people management decisions
Project management on client projects
- Approaching clients and team members in an organised and knowledgeable manner to deliver clear requests for information
- Arranging and participating in client meetings and supporting client management, including periodic check-ins and project updates
- Develop project plans and deliverables schedules with the project team lead and enforce the timely delivery of outputs.
- Developing the project plan for delivering on project requirements
- Identifying risks and dependencies and overseeing and supporting all workstreams
- Using data from previous projects to estimate the duration of tasks and monitor deviations
- Setting up projects on time tracking tool and ensuring consistency of tasks across projects
- Supporting project admin, e.g. preparing timesheets for project billing when required, travel arrangements, invoicing etc.
Project management on strategic internal workstreams, e.g. researching and developing new team structures and processes.
- 5+ years of experience managing teams and supporting the delivery of high-quality outputs
- Ability to use data and insights to inform conclusions and support decision-making and to analyse, interpret or extract insights from data
- Ability to simplify complex messages, highlighting and summarising key points for management
- Ability to act to resolve issues which prevent the team from working effectively.
- Ability to manage people on tight deadlines, undertake long-term planning, define scopes, manage timelines and distil large, complex problems into clear instructions for internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to initiate open and candid coaching conversations at all levels
- Proven track record of leading teams demonstrated by previous experience managing a team or small teams to deliver measurable outcomes
- Ability to communicate clearly and compellingly in writing and speaking
- Ability to address sub-standard work or work that does not meet Stears’ expectations.
- Ability to manage relationships with multiple external stakeholders, including clients, regulators, suppliers, etc.
- Background working in a research or consulting environment is preferred.
Why Stears is such a great place to work
Our consultants report Stears to be the best experience of their careers because it gave them the opportunity to:
- Deepen their analytical and critical thinking skills, which they apply beyond specific domains and disciplines.
- Develop strong writing and presentation skills that they leveraged in other stages of their careers.
- Gain a high level of autonomy and responsibility by taking on responsibility for an entire industry.
- Do something meaningful by being part of a team making African data and insights more widely available.
- Competitive salaries at all levels. This role may also be eligible for other discretionary compensation schemes
- 25 days of paid time off—excluding public holidays—as well as parental, compassionate and sick leave days
- Additional discretionary financial assistance for tools needed to bolster employee productivity
- Provision of—or reimbursement for—comprehensive health insurance plans
- Investment in training and professional development
- Access to working spaces in Lagos and Abuja for hybrid working (office and remote as required)
- Access to an expert Intelligence team and unlimited access to our Stears Insights product. Stears Intelligence team includes some of the brightest knowledge experts covering a wide range of sectors, all passionate about delivering the highest quality of intelligence on the African continent.
Stears is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status.