Publishing Operations Associate
Stears is an intelligence startup of 40+ people using data to answer questions about Africa. Our mission is to become the world's most trusted provider of African data & insight to global businesses, finance and policy professionals. We make this possible by integrating all our intelligence (news & analysis, proprietary data, aggregated public data, licensed data, forecasts and reports) into a searchable platform complemented by a rich mobile experience.
Our customers currently pay for access to Stears’ Intelligence through a web platform that includes daily insight and data. Our experts are always ready to answer client data questions about any sector, market or African country.
As Stears expands to produce pan-African insights, Stears’ Insights Team, housed within the Intelligence team of the company, is looking for an experienced operations personnel that can lead and work with a group of economists and analysts to build our brand equity and user growth across Africa.
We are actively seeking an organised and effective communicator to join Stears as a key member of our team. This role will have direct responsibility for overseeing our publishing and content management system. The ideal candidate will have experience managing a fast-paced organisation and leading a nimble team comprising individuals with diverse areas of expertise. It is crucial that this individual can effectively liaise with our engineering team to optimise the efficiency of our content management and publishing processes. This position is instrumental in achieving our objective of leading economic discourse and establishing Stears as a prominent brand in Africa.
What it covers: As the Insights Operations Associate, you are responsible for the following:
Publishing and Content Management:
- Oversee and manage the publishing and content management system at Stears, ensuring efficient and streamlined processes for content creation, editing, and publication.
- Collaborate with the engineering team to optimise the back-end systems, workflows, and tools used for content management, aiming for maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
- Develop and implement content management guidelines and best practices to maintain consistency and quality across all published materials.
- Work closely with the editorial team to coordinate content schedules, prioritise publishing tasks, and meet deadlines effectively.
- Conduct regular audits of the content management system to identify and resolve any technical issues or bottlenecks that may hinder the publishing process.
- Stay updated on industry trends and advancements in content management systems, recommending and implementing relevant improvements to enhance the overall publishing capabilities.
Communication and Liaison:
- Serve as the primary point of contact between the editorial team and the engineering team, facilitating effective communication and collaboration.
- Liaise with the engineering team to relay feedback, requirements, and suggestions from the editorial team, ensuring smooth and productive cross-functional interactions.
- Collaborate with the engineering team to define and prioritise system enhancements, ensuring that the content management system evolves to meet the changing needs of the organisation.
- Provide training and support to the editorial team on using the content management system, troubleshooting technical issues, and optimising workflows.
- Communicate updates, changes, and improvements related to the publishing and content management system to the wider team, ensuring everyone is informed and aligned.
- Act as a subject matter expert on content management processes and systems, offering guidance and support to stakeholders across the organisation.
How we work: The Stears team is based in Nigeria and has a hybrid work system—remotely and onsite. We use agile work processes and invest heavily in training around data analysis, critical thinking, mental models and frameworks. Our team of analysts and economists produce insights for businesses and professionals within industries including banking, energy, and capital market and for policymakers across public and private financial institutions such as the state and federal governments.
Who you will work with: This role is part of the Insights team within the Intelligence division. You will report to the Head of Insights. In addition to working with the core team of economists, analysts, designers and interns, you will also engage with other internal stakeholders in data production, growth and design, including the Head of Intelligence.
We are looking for someone with:
- Three to four years leadership experience to proactively manage multiple tasks and ensure accountability of team members. Successful candidate will have work experience in publishing, communications or other relevant roles.
- High organisation skills, a keen eye for details and the ability to develop publication strategies and managing content tools and systems.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate well with all levels of staff, stakeholders and clients to support effective working relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to track goals to completion with strong organisational and time management skills to meet hard deadlines.
- Unlimited access to Stears Premium
- Hybrid working (office and remote as required)
- Stears branded merchandise and swag
- Onboarding allowance to facilitate workstation setup
- Access to Stears Employee Hardship Fund
- Annual off-site team bonding
- Special emphasis on learning and development
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Competitive salaries at junior, intermediate and senior levels
- Paid time off - 25 days excluding public holidays and sick days
- Access to an expert Intelligence team - Stears Intelligence team includes some of the brightest knowledge experts in Nigeria, covering a wide range of sectors, all with a passion for delivering the highest quality of intelligence on the African continent.
The Stears Experience - These are the top reasons analysts and editors report having the best experience of their careers at Stears:
- Deepen their analytical & critical thinking skills, which apply beyond a specific domain.
- Develop strong writing skills that can be leveraged in other stages of their careers.
- Gain a high level of autonomy and responsibility by taking on responsibility for an entire industry.
- Do something meaningful by being part of a team making African data more widely available.
Stears is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.