Operations Lead, EU Projects
The Democratic Society (Demsoc)
Contract: 18 months, with a view to extend - full time preferred
Salary: 3 960€ monthly (12,92 months) - Demsoc scale 9
About the Role
Democratic Society (Demsoc) is Europe’s leading international democracy organisation. Through our European projects we support citizens and communities to ensure that deep climate transformation is a democratic not just a technocratic process; to support participation networks around Europe; and to make sure that AI advances respond to citizen needs.
Through democratic design, organisational development and practical participation, our team and our members are building greater participation and dialogue in democracy.
As our European work expands, we are looking for an EU Projects Operations Lead with a thorough knowledge of European funding and project management rules, to support our work and teams, particularly on our major Net Zero Cities work. The role will sit across the NetZeroCities team and the Operations & Development team. The right candidate will be able to work across a number of workstreams and projects.
In this role, you will be in charge of the reporting for NetZeroCities, as well as advising the wider team on issues of EU project and financial management. This will mean extensive expertise in the rules and practice of Horizon, Interreg, Erasmus+ & CERV.
The role will report to the Head of Finance and Operations, and the Head of Future Cities, who is SRO for our Net Zero Cities work. It will mean working closely with a range of partners, stakeholders and colleagues across Democratic Society. The work will be divided between the NetZeroCities related tasks (90%), and supporting the wider team (10%). More specifically, the role’s responsibilities will focus on the following key areas:
- Responsible for the reporting of the NZC project
- Advising on the overall financial direction (including and not limited to: salary costs, forecasting…)
- Coordination of the financial implementation of EU-funded (H2020, Erasmus+, CERV) projects
- Managing and monitoring projects’ budget, including the preparation and follow-up of outgoing and incoming invoices and reimbursement claims, preparation of costs statements and projections, monitoring of staff costs
- Preparing interim and final financial reports
- Preparing ad-hoc documents for internal and external audits
- Ensuring continuous improvement of existing procedures and financial processes
- Supervising the financial and administrative support structures to ensure timely and accurate projects’ financial reporting, with the support of Demsoc’s Finance Officer
- Act as an adviser for the Development Team on orientations, funding, and funding mechanisms for EU funding
- In collaboration with the PMO Officer, ensuring the sound financial planning, management and implementation Demsoc’s projects
Equality, access and diversity
Demsoc is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes all suitably skilled persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, faith, sexual orientation, education or age. We are a multilingual and multicultural organisation, working internationally and actively working to ensure our team reflects the communities and places we serve.
How to apply
Please download the full job description to read about the Person Specification, and Demsoc's Key Competencies. Please send your application (CV, a 2-page max Cover letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org before noon Brussels time on 27 October. We are planning to hold interviews on 2nd and 3rd November with the intention of bringing someone in as soon as possible.